Legal Representation

© 2016. All right reserved | Registered Migration Agent Number 0213485

Legal Representation:

The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) is responsible for the administration of Australia’s migrant, temporary visa and citizenship programs. One of the department’s key responsibilities is to manage visa holders’ remain compliant with their visa conditions. This is a complex area of public service delivery.

Q. What if the law changes? How do I make sure I comply with my visa?

You must comply with the conditions attached to your visa. Some Australian visas do not allow holders to work while in Australia. Other visas, such as working holiday and student visas, only allow holders to undertake a limited amount or type of work. People found to be working in breach of their visa conditions may have their visa cancelled.

There is a free online service, Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) where you can check your visa details and its conditions or check your visa grant letter.

Q. What are my responsibilities as an employer?

Employers face fines and criminal charges if they engage illegal workers. Australian employers are expected to take a reasonable number of steps to make sure they are not employing, referring or contracting illegal workers.

Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and New Zealand citizens are legal workers and have unlimited permission to work in Australia. A single check confirming this at the time of employment is all that is required.

Employers who believe their worker is a foreign national must carry out further checks to confirm that person has a visa with permission to work. 

Q. Will I be told when my visa is running out?

You should be aware of the date your visa ceases. Visa holders are expected to either leave Australia or make an application for a new visa before their existing visa ceases so they remain lawful.

If your visa ceases while you are in Australia, and you have not applied for another visa, you will become an unlawful non-citizen. If this happens, you should approach the DHA immediately. Unlawful non-citizens may be detained and removed from Australia.

Q. Further Information

Anyone holding a visa should be able to check their current visa status, by accessing the online VEVO system (Visa Entitlement Verification Online).

If you are a visa holder with an expiration coming up, speak to Visa Solutions Australia, and we can help to identify other visas which you can apply for. 

If you are an employer, and not sure of the visa status of your worker, Visa Solutions Australia can help run a check to make sure that your worker can lawfully work in Australia for your company. 

Call us today on +618 9328 2664 or National Toll free 1800 828 008

We are in the business of solutions, no problem too big or too small.  Contact Us